You may be faced with a lack of parent support in changing from caps to broad brimmed hats, not reinforcing a sun protection message at home on weekends and failing to role model correct sun protective behaviour. To address a lack of support you may want to:
- Invite a Cancer Council speaker to attend a parents’ group meeting
- Include parents in the development of the policy to change from caps to bucket or broad brimmed hats
- Include regular information in parent newsletters (especially at the beginning of Term 4 and Term 1)
- Set sun protection homework activities for students to work on with parents
- Remind parents about necessity for sun protection in school excursion letters.
Explaining the importance of sun protection to families with non-English speaking backgrounds