Getting staff to role model hat wearing.
Some staff may be reluctant to role model hat wearing for various reasons including feelings of self-consciousness and concerns about their appearance. To overcome this challenge:
- Provide staff with professional development in the area of sun protection. This will assist in creating an understanding of why sun protection is important and how they can influence children’s behaviour as well as protect themselves from further skin damage.
- Remind all staff in staff meetings of their responsibility to act as good role models.
- Look at different hat designs that are protective but do not sit heavily on the head. This may assist in addressing concerns about ‘hat hair’.
- Consider providing staff with umbrellas as an option for hats when supervising children.
- Remind all staff that it is the centre’s duty of care to provide a safe work environment, which includes the use of sun protective equipment to reduce staff skin damage.