Providing students with shade is an important strategy for reducing sun exposure. Funding and practical difficulties can pose problems for schools.
- Look for funding opportunities. State and Commonwealth Government Grants may be available and sometimes local councils provide funding.
- Make indoor space available during lunchtime.
- Make the most of the shade that you do have.
- Involve students in planning for future generations by assisting with planting trees or fundraising activities for shade.
Practical difficulties involved in the design and construction of shade structures.
Too often the location and design of shade structures and trees produce a shade pattern entirely different from that anticipated or required. Careful design includes consideration of factors such as:
- Time of day shade required and duration of site use
- Control of direct and reflected UV radiation
- Site usage or activities undertaken in the area to be shaded
- Type of shade required: natural versus built shade
For further information on shade planning and design contact your local Cancer Council.