WA // School Activity – UV Index Advert Analysis
The UV Index advert is a valuable learning tool for Health and English (viewing) lessons that promotes important SunSmart messages. When critically analysing and exploring the hidden SunSmart messages in the UV advert, it ticks off many key curriculum outcomes, supports health literacy growth and develops important healthy lifestyle choices.
The aim of the UV advert is to educate Australians that when the UV hits 3 or above, you need to be SunSmart.
- Understand that when the UV Index is 3 or above, sun protection is required (slip slop slap, seek and slide).
- Understand that UV and heat are not the same thing.
Key SunSmart messages:
- UV and heat are different. We need to use sun protection whenever the UV Index is 3 and above, regardless of temperature.
- Skin damage is caused by ultraviolet (UV) radiation from the sun, not temperature. In winter, a cool or overcast day can have similar UV levels to a warmer, sunny day.
- There are 5 strategies to protect your skin from the sun- slip, slop, slap, seek and slide.
- UV radiation can reflect off surfaces, so it is important to use a combination of sun protection strategies.
- Broad spectrum sunscreen offers the best protection because it protects the skin from both UVA and UVB rays. Follow the instructions on the packaging when applying sunscreen.
- Before playing the video, ask students what they think the advert is about? What is the intended message?
- Play video all the way through and ask these questions again from point one. Further analyse the advert and ask, what is the weather like? How do you know? Why do you think the advert included a cloud?
- Play video again but this time ask students to look more closely at what the sun and UV index is doing throughout the advert. What did you notice? How does this link to the UV Index?
- Play the video again but this time analyse what the character is wearing. Why do you think the creator included these clothing items? Why do you think he is wearing a long sleeve shirt? What do you notice about his hat?
- Play the video one last time but this time ask students to look at what is happening with the sunscreen? How many times did the character apply sunscreen? Did he rub his sunscreen in? Why do you think he did this?
- Design a poster or bookmark to promote the ‘think UV not heat’ message.
- Visit the myUV website and check the UV forecast for your local area.