WA // Healthy School News
Cancer Council WA supports schools to promote healthy lifestyle messages such as sun safety and healthy eating, and produce a biannual newsletter for school staff, parents and canteens.
- Healthy habits – SunSmart time savers
- Packed with goodness
- Common nutrition myths busted
- SunSmart persuasive writing prompt
- SunSmart hat test activity
- And so much more!
- Super snacks for supervising school sports
- How shade can positively influence your school
- Do we need to be SunSmart in winter?
- Promoting health at your school athletics carnival
- Hydration in junior sport- Podium not sodium
- Real-time UV meters available to purchase soon!
- School sun protection when the budget is tight
- SunSmart literature – activities for your classroom
- Staff health and wellbeing
- Clean, Crunch&Sip
- And more!
- How schools are turning the tide of skin cancer
- Kick starting the year with healthy habits in your classroom
- Sun protective uniforms
- Packed with Goodness – nutrition education for parents
- And more!
- Upskilling pre-service teachers in sun protection
- Geraldton Grammar getting teens SunSmart
- Recommended sun protection strategies for WA schools
- Talking to someone with cancer
- And more!
- Why baseball caps shouldn’t come to school
- Amelia’s warning – there’s nothing healthy about a tan
- Is your council blocking your shade?
- Getting savvy about UV
- A new campaign from Alcohol Think Again
Term 3 2018 – view the online e-news here.
- Vitamin D and kids – are they getting enough?
- The Montreal Protocol and why skin cancer rates in Australia are so high (hint – it’s not the ozone layer!)
- Cancer Council WA celebrates 60 years – how far have we come in cancer prevention
- Advocating for a healthy school environment
- The sweet truth about sugar
Term 1 2018 – view the online e-news here.
- 20 years of SunSmart Schools
- Toodyay District High School – part of the SunSmart Generation
- Healthy workplaces
- School staff + hats = a good choice!
- Taking a stand on junk food
Term 3 2017 – view the online e-news here.
- Physical activity + sun protection for healthy kids
- School sun protection checklist
- Crunch&Sip mythbusters
- How kids react to cancer
Term 1 2017 – view the online e-news here.
- Being a role model
- What’s new in SunSmart
- Being a health hero
- Supporting your whole school health initiatives
Term 3 2016 – view the online e-news here.
- Temperature and UV radiation
- Promoting health at athletics carnivals
- Fueling little athletes
- O’Connor Primary School’s SunSmart journey
Term 1 2016 – view the online e-news here.
- School sun protection fallacies
- Pearsall Primary School case study
- UV meters
- Where to find classroom nutrition support
Term 3 2015 – read the online e-news here.
Term 1 2015 – view the online e-news here.
Health Promoting Schools edition.
Term 3 2014 – view the online e-news here.
- Planning shade
- SunSmart athletics carnivals
- Crunch&Sip in the classroom
Term 1 2014 – view the online e-news here.
- Vitamin D – getting the balance right
- Sun protection and swimming carnivals
- Healthy lunchboxes
- Becoming a Crunch&Sip School
Term 3 2013 – view the online e-news here.
- How to become a SunSmart School
- Shade in schools
- Alcohol promotion in schools